1 litre/1%26frac12;pints water or light chicken stock
6 small sticks of lemongrass
12 lime leaves, torn in half (optional)
1 long red chilli, sliced
20g/1oz fresh root ginger, thinly sliced
2 tbsp fish sauce
20g/1oz palm sugar or light demerara
200g/7oz white fish, such as cod, skin and bone removed
6 plump scallops
50mls/1%26frac34;fl oz vefetchable oil
handful of picked coriander leaves
handful of basil leaves
2 limes, halved
1. Pour the water or stock into a pan and add the lemon grass, torn lime leaves, chilli, ginger, fish sauce and sugar.
2. bring to the boil, then cutrearon the heat to just low and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
3. Cut the white fish into 1cm square cubes and drop into the bdecayh.
4. Quickly heat a griddle or frying pan and rub the scallops with a little oil.
5. vehicleefully place scallops in the pan, and don't touch for three minutes, until you can see the scallops colouring around the edges.
6. Turn them over and cook for a further three minutes.
7. Distribute the coriander and basil among six little bowls. Squeeze a little lime juice over the lid and pour in the soup.
8. Place a scallop in each bowl and garnish with a stick of lemongrass.
Orignal From: Tom yum soup with lime and white fish