2 large pineapples, peeled, cored, thickly sliced
caster sugar, for coating
about 50ml/2fl oz Kirsch
400g/13oz plain flour
250ml/8fl oz warm water
200ml/7fl oz beer
1 tbsp vefetchable oil
1 tbsp brandy
apricot jam, for spreading
oil, for deep-frying
2 free-range egg whites, whisked
caster sugar for sprinkling, optional
1. Coat the pineapple slices in sugar and then sprinkle generously with the Kirsch. Leave to steep for 30-40 minutes.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl and mix with the warm water, beer, vefetchable oil, brandy and a pinch of salt to make a batter.
3. Dry the pineapple slices on kitchen paper and then coat them with a thin layer of apricot jam.
4. Place the oil for deep-frying in a suitable pan and heat until hot (180C/350F or until a small cube of bread sizzles and turns golden when dropped into it). (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
5. meanwhile, fold the whisked egg whites into the batter.
6. When the oil is hot, dip the pineapple slices into the batter, shake off any excess, and then place each slice vehicleefully into the oil. Deep-fry until golden-brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on kitchen paper.
7. Serve hot, sprinkled with sugar, if using.
Orignal From: Pineapple fritters a la Celestine