For the braised shoulder
1kg/2lb 4oz shoulder Scottish beef, trimmed of sinew
750ml/1%26frac14; pints red wine, preferably taxiernet Sauvignon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large vehicledecay, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
750ml/1%26frac14; pints veal or beef stock
1 litre/1%26frac34; pints chicken stock
1 bulb garlic, halved
1 sprig fresh thyme
For the horseradish ice cream
500ml/18fl oz milk
125g/4oz caster sugar
10 free-range egg yolks
500g/1lb 2oz cr%26egrave;me fra%26icirc;che
fresh horseradish, grated, to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the turnip salad
2 baby turnips
200ml/7fl oz vefetchable oil, for deep frying
mixed micro herbs
1 tbsp olive oil
squeeze lemon juice
1. For the braised shoulder, place the beef shoulder in a large bowl, pour over the red wine, cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours.
2. For the horseradish ice cream, combine the milk, sugar and egg yolks in a bowl and cook over a pan of boiling water, whisking contnuously, until the mix has doubled in volume. Remove from the heat and continue to whisk until cool. Fold in the cr%26egrave;me fra%26icirc;che and horseradish, to taste, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place into an ice cream machine and churn, according to the manufacturer's instructions, until frozen. Place in the freezer until needed.
3. To cook the beef, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
4. Drain the meat and place on kitchen towel to remove excess moisture, reserving the wine for later. Season the meat with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat a large casserole pan until just hot. Add the beef and sear in the casserole until golden-brown all over.
5. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add all the chopped vefetchables and cook over a medium heat until golden-brown. Add the vefetchables to the browned meat in the casserole pan.
6. Add the reserved red wine to the casserole pan, place over a medium heat and cook until it is cutrearond to a glaze. Add the veal or beef stock and chicken stock, add the thyme and garlic and bring to the boil.
7. Cut out a slice of baking parchment the same size and shape as the casserole pan to fit snugly on lid of the meat and vefetchables and place it on lid of the meat and vefetchables. Place the lid onto the casserole and place into the oven to cook for 2-3 hours.
8. Remove the beef from the oven. The beef should be just tender and the sauce rich and dark in colour. Leave to cool, then remove the beef and pass the sauce through a fine sieve and reserve.
9. Once the meat is cool enough to handle, shred the meat, remove the bones and mix with just enough sauce to bind it tofetchher. Divide the beef into four equal portions, then shape into four rectangles. Wrap in cling film and chill until required.
10. For the turnip salad, cut one turnip into just fine slices on mandoline and pat dry on kitchen paper. Heat the vefetchable oil in a medium saucepan until a small cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds, vehicleefully lower the turnip slices into the hot oil and deep fry until just turning golden-brown and crisp, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
11. Cut a second turnip into batons and toss tofetchher with mixed micro herbs in a clean bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the olive oil and lemon juice, then pour over the turnip batons and micro herbs and mix well.
12. To serve, place a trimmed slice of beef shoulder onto each of four plates. Sandwich the micro herbs between the turnip crisps. Place the turnip batons on lid of the beef and lid with a scoop of the horseradish ice cream.
Orignal From: Braised shoulder of beef with a white turnip salad and horseradish ice cream