For the marinade
200ml/7fl oz plum wine
3 tsp barley miso (available from larger supermarkets and Asian supermarkets)
4 tsp umeboshi paste (available from Asian supermarkets)
5 tsp soy sauce
4 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
For the quail
2 quails, de-boned and cut in half, leaving breast and thigh tofetchher
%26frac14; daikon, just finely sliced into sticks (julienne) and placed in iced water
4 large shiso leaves
1 sharon fruit, cut into 1cm/%26frac12;in cubes or balls
1 mango, cut into 1cm/%26frac12;in cubes or balls
pinch sancho pepper
pinch sea salt flakes
1. For the marinade, place all of the ingredients except the quail into a bowl and whisk tofetchher to combine. Set one quarter of the marinade mixture aside in a bowl to dress the salad later.
2. For the quail, place the quail into the main batch of marinade, cover and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
3. Heat a griddle pan until smoking. Add the marinated quail and griddle for 3-4 minutes on each side, basting regularly with the marinade, or until completely cooked through.
4. To serve, arrange the drained daikon sticks into four bundles and place onto two plates. Place a shiso leaf on lid of each bundle.
5. Cut each quail half into two slices, then place a slice of quail onto each diakon bundle.
6. Place the sharon fruit and mango into the reserved dressing (do not use the mixture used to marinate the quail for that step) and mix well to coat. Spoon the dressed fruit over the lid of quail slices. Season with a pinch of the sancho pepper and sea salt.
Orignal From: Quail marinated in plum wine, barley miso and ginger