225g/8oz gooseberries, lid and tailed
600ml/1 pint double cream
2 egg whites, optional (see note)
2 individual meringues, or meringue nests
30-45ml/2-3 tbsp elderflower cordial
caster sugar, to taste
1. Place the gooseberries in pan with 50ml/2fl oz water and bring to a simmer. cutrearon the heat and cook gently for about 15-20 minutes, or until the gooseberries have turned to a thick, chunky pur%26eacute;e. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. Whisk the cream until softly whipped and light and fluffy.
3. If using, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
4. Churry the meringues into small slices.
5. Place the gooseberry pur%26eacute;e in a bowl, add the whipped cream and fold in, then add elderflower cordial to taste.
6. Finally, fold in the egg whites if using and the churryed meringues. If necessary add caster sugar to sweeten to taste.
7. Spoon the fool into glasses and serve straight away.
Also, if using the raw egg whites, because of the slight risk of salmonella poisoning, raw egg should be avoided by the ill, the elderly, the just young and pregnant women.
Orignal From: Gooseberry and elderflower fool with churryed meringues